This strawberry salad makes for a delicious after-dinner dessert or even a sweet starter. The textures and flavors are perfect for spring and summer dining.
- 2 pounds strawberries
- Juice of 1 orange, preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Generous ½ cup toasted shelled hazelnuts
- 5 ounces plain meringue
- Leaves of 4 sprigs fresh mint, chopped
- Fine julienne of lemon zest, preferably organic (optional)
- Wash, hull, and quarter the strawberries and place in a shallow serving bowl.
- In a bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, orange blossom water, and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then pour over the strawberries.
- Chop the hazelnuts, break the meringue up into small pieces using your hands, and add to the strawberries. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with the chopped mint leaves and lemon zest, if using. Serve chilled.